Monday, April 23, 2007

whisper white memories


I took this picture of the dogwood blooms at my mom's a couple of weeks ago. My dad dug up the tree out of the woods and planted in their yard about 10 years ago. The tree is very special to me, since he is gone now. It was gorgeous this year, even mom's neighbors were over to take pictures.

I took this picture this morning. The first blooming bearded iris in my yard. This one has huge blooms and is just beautiful. I can't wait for the others to strut their stuff later on.
I guess most of you know my SCS name is iris. Let me tell you how this name evolved. My dad died in 1999 of congestive heart failure, less than 2 weeks later my brother, my only sibling, Troy died from Glioblastoma multiforma, brain cancer. He went through some really bad times with this cancer after his surgery, seizures, paralysis, he couldn't talk, it was unbearable. The song "Iris" by the Goo-Goo dolls was played at his memorial service. When we got home from Springfield, MO. where he lived, we pulled into the driveway and there was a single white iris blooming in my flower bed, the only flower blooming. As you can probably guess, I lost it, after I composed myself I was in awe.
It was as if my brother was telling me it would be OK and he's here, ya know?
Irises have been my favorite flower ever since, especially white irises.
Yikes, I didn't mean for this be so depressing, I hope you didn't mind me putting it all out there, but I saw this iris this morning and it brought back memories....whisper white memories.





9 comments:

Jenn said...

Not depressing at all PI!! I love getting to know the other sides of people!!! I love your story and inspriations!!

Unknown said...

Sometimes when those memories pop up, we just need to share them. Personally, I love hearing the Iris story - just wish there didn't need to be one, ya know?!

Carol (HB) said...

The only thing more beautiful than these flowers is your heart!

Amy Rohl said...

What a beautiful story, Iris...I found it inspiring and reminding of our eternal hope that holds us and brings us closer to Him.

Amy

Michelle Wooderson said...

Pam, you are wonderful! Thank you for sharing your story. Iris are my favorite flower also. I can almost smell your wonderful white iris right throught the computer screen! All of our flowers got stunted by the snow and cold temps. I dunno if I'll have any this year or not. Ohh, that sweet smell, nothing like it in the world!

Anonymous said...

What a moving story. Be proud to share it. After all you speaking of people you truly love. I will never look at my iris' again without thinking of you and that is a very good thing.
As HB said - you have a very beautiful heart.

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful flowers! And a beautiful story tht I am so glad you shared! Piris - you are as beautiful as an iris!

Rose Ann said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your beautiful story. (((Hugs)))

Debbi T said...

This is a wonderful story, Piris! I too *love* bearded iris...I can't wait for mine to bloom (months away yet!)but you know I'll be thinking of YOU when the first one blooms!! Ü

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...